10 April 2009

Chaotic with nothing to show for it

I have decided that motherhood/being a wife is very chaotic at times. There is so much that you need to do and so much more that you want to do. I watched this really awesome episode of Oprah the other day about being a mother and it really struck me. This juggling act is hard and a lot of times I go to bed either feeling like I didn't accomplish anything or I didn't get enough (or any) recognition for the things that I was able to accomplish. However, the Lord in His infinite wisdom has blessed me with little breathing moments where I step back and realize how wonderful life is. I just have to keep reminding myself that every step forward is still a step in the right direction even if it's only a little one. My new favorite quote by Marie Osmond is if you're going to laugh about it later you might as well laugh about it now. Also if any of you are in the market for a life changing book read The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. Eye-opening and tremendously straight forward. Talk about humbling.

7 comments:

One mom said...

Playing the part a mom and wife are two of the most difficult roles we will every have to take on. But because they are so difficult, they are also the most rewarding.

Have you seen the movie "Marley and Me?" I thought about you and River throughout the entire show (but I bet River is much better behaved than Marley was). Plus, I think the movie accurately portrays the struggles of the transition from single - married - parents.

Hang in there. Plus, soon your life will be more stable. I like that new country song "it won't be like this for long." It puts our life into perspective. Give me a call when you get the chance!

Anonymous said...

I love that quote by Marie Osmond. It sort of puts things into perspective and I love quotes like that! Peyton is getting so big! She is a doll!

Scott and Haley said...

Wonderful Words of Wisdom! I know exactly how you feel. If you want to read and amazing book that validates your feelings read "I am a Mom" by Jane Classon Johnson. Powerful stuff. I pretty much cried the whole book. Peyton by the way is getting so big and is so dang cute!

Lindsay said...

Linds, I was also going to tell you about that book, "I am a Mother" by Jane Clayson Johnson. She was a very popular news reporter in Utah and then made it big on national news. I read her book right after I had Brayden and it really helped remind me why I had chosen to be a stay at home mom, and that although you might not get any recognition for the intense occupation you have chosen, you have the most noble job on earth! (Make Pat give it to you for Mother's Day if you don't get it before that.) lol
Love you lots and hope to talk to you soon! What a cute little dancer you've got! :D

Lindsay said...

P.S. I posted a video on my blog of Brayden walking! He's gotten so big, you'll have to check it out!

nataliegu3 said...

"Chaotic with nothing to show for it" captures reality so perfectly, no one could have said it better.
The description and everything is great- I love it.

But even when you do the dishes in the morning, and go to bed at night with a sink full of dishes, imagine how much worse it would be if you didn't do small tasks.. they would really pile up!

Today, I did laundry, and at the end of the day was our clothes in the basket again, it never ends!!

nataliegu3 said...

oh, and I just read that other girls comment, Collett, and I totally thought of River & you guys throughout that movie too! If you haven't seen it yet..... get on it!
I don't really care for dogs, and I cried! River is so cute :) he also reminds me of Jesse. Remember Jesse, Craigs dog?